Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy, or Shockwave, is a non-invasive treatment technique that involves the use of a machine to deliver shockwaves to the intended area of treatment. The creation of a sonic pulse translates to mechanical energy within the tissue that it passes through, leading to the desired therapeutic effects.
How Does Shockwave Therapy Work?
A shockwave unit works to create a mechanical pressure wave that is transferred to body via an applicator head that creates energy within the tissues. This energy is most effective in breaking down calcific deposits or scars and adhesions within the treatment tissue, thus generating the body’s healing response. Increased blood flow and improved circulation further helps in the rehabilitation process.
What Can It Treat?
Shockwave can be used to treat musculoskeletal issues such as:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Tennis elbow
- Golfer’s elbow
- Calcific deposits in the shoulder
- Morton’s neuroma
- Jumper’s knee
- Shin splints
- Chronic inflammation
- Shoulder tendonitis
How Long Does Treatment Take?
Before you receive Shockwave treatment, your Physiotherapist will need to assess you and determine your protocol. An initial assessment can take anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes, depending on your condition. The shockwave treatment, on its own, can range anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes.
As a treatment approach, you might need 1 session per week lasting 4-6 weeks.
What Should I Expect?
As mentioned above, shockwave involves a mechanical pulse. Therefore, you might feel vibrations or pulses coming from the applicator head. The frequency and intensity, however, is adjusted as per your tolerance.
Your Physiotherapist will make sure that you are suitable for the treatment and will give you a proper demonstration before going ahead.
Post-treatment, you might feel some warmth and swelling or inflammation around the area. Don’t worry— that is the desired response of your body as it heals itself.
Shockwave is becoming one of the most effective treatment modalities in a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. See your Physiotherapist to learn more about Shockwave and if it is the right choice for you!
Footprint Health and Wellness Centre is a multi-disciplinary clinic located in South Barrie, offering chiropody, physiotherapy, and massage therapy services. Book your appointment now!
You might also like:
- Is My Posture Causing Me Pain?
- My Doctor Said I Have Tennis Elbow – I Don’t Play Tennis!
- Do I Need a Physiotherapist?
- Home Exercise Programs: A Treatment Approach with the Best Results - July 11, 2019
- Understanding the Knee: Part One - May 6, 2019
- Should I Treat my Injury with Heat or Ice? - April 1, 2019
- Spring Is in the Air: Get Moving with Aerobics - March 25, 2019
- Acupuncture: What Is the Real Deal? - February 19, 2019
- Happy New Year, Happy New You: Part Three - February 4, 2019
- Happy New Year, Happy New You: Part Two - January 29, 2019
- Happy New Year, Happy New You: Part One - January 21, 2019
- The Shoulder Joint – What Can Go Wrong? - January 7, 2019
- Is Shockwave Therapy Right For Me? - December 3, 2018